Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pond Apple Trail w/SanCap Audubon Group

The SanCap Audubon Bird Walk is becoming quite a popular event on Saturdays - after all, what is not to like! The leaders have great personalities, a sense of humor and great knowledge.....in addition, everyone has a common interest while spending time in our beautiful sunny state. Come and join me today and be a witness to our sightings.
I arrived early and opted to park behind the Chamber of Commerce - on my way to meet up the group I saw those 3 Pileated Woodpeckers slowly awaking.

The day is looking promising already.





The known Australian Pine by the Dairy Queen, which used to be a nesting platform for an Eagle pair is quiet this morning.




I've slowly made it to the Retention Pond area - quite a few Wood Storks are here already.
In addition, I am seeing a large group by the maintenance garage - over 50 enthusiastic birders!

An immature Black-Crowned Night Heron....Kevin pointed out how the bill has not quite reached the 'adult' stage yet.





Killdeers - there were 5 of them today, 3 are in this frame.



A young Brown Pelican.




This Wood Stork might have been sleeping - his eyes were closed....hard to tell unless you look really closely.




This one, on the other hand, was wide awake and keeping his eyes on me.


Birds come and go so quickly around here!



Others like to dive, swim and do acrobatic moves with their catch.

Amazingly, the Anhinga stabs his fish underwater, comes up to the surface where he carefully turns and flips the fish so that it goes down the hatch head first.

We were entertained just by watching him - he was quite the fisherman and enjoyed a hearty fish breakfast.

The fish seemed to say: "Ooooh no!", while the Anhinga saids " Ah YES!"


By the way - with so many of these guys today - we decided to call it the "Stork Day".


Toward the end, an Anhinga lady proudly showed us her strapless dress....

and she wears it well, if I must say so myself.

A Cormorant with its striking emerald eyes.


After a while, I re-entered the trail leading me back to my wheels - I was glad to see that the Bald Eagle was perched in his old stomping limb.

Regal and majestic.....what a great way to end the day!

 My E-Bird List for today.

3 comments:

  1. You really got some shots today. Poor little fish did not have a chance...Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the fish did what he was supposed to do - feed! - and that's a good thing. :)

      Delete