Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

A visit to the Shipley/Pond Apple Trails

Now that turtle season is coming to a screeching halt, I have more time and more energy to spend on the trails and revisit some of my old favorites. It has been several months since I last visited the Shipley & Pond Apple Trail and today seemed to be a good day....so, come and visit with me...

The sun is rising, the colors are changing and the birds are coming alive by the look of wings in the sky.....
A pair of Black-crowned Night Heron flew above me and I wondered where they will spend the day.


Looks like the Dairy Queen Eagles are back in town - this one perched in an Australian Pine while the other 


called from the depth of the Pond Apple Trails....I leisurely made my way down.


I was able to skip and jump over these puddles but when I finished crossing the boardwalk I had to retreat because there was no end in sight as to where a dry walking spot could be.

 However, I was in for a sweet surprise....not one but two Ovenbirds were spotted.

On my way back I also enjoyed watching some of the wild flowers that grows here and there along the trail.

I made it back to the retention pond area and spent some time watching the bird life .... many Anhinga and Little Blue were perched on top of the roped fence area...a Green Heron perched too.



The Bald Eagle was still holding his post.

Some interesting fungi growing on a tree trunk, sharing space with a Christmas Vine.


One of my favorite wild flower: Lance-leaved arrowhead, it blooms from Apr-Dec by ponds, rivers etc.

And the Seagrape tree which permeates the air with the sweet smell of ripe grapes - luring me to taste a few - yum .... sweet and tart, not much to eat since it has a large pit inside but the taste is heavenly.

Suspended above the water was an Orb Weaver - its web catching the sun's rays while sparkling away.
 A family of Red-bellied Woodpecker were busy feeding and learning the ropes - they were fun to watch.

The Bailey Homestead Preserves is still undergoing renovation and preparation for grand opening - perhaps later this year.

On the other side of the trail - many frogs were heard and seen jumping away as I approached, making me smile as I enjoyed their serenade.

The man made pond is ready for wildlife to come.

A deck has been built in front of the pond - looks like a good spot to rock the day away.

The gazebo is filled with information, four benches has been added since I was here last.



It is refreshing to see that 68% of Sanibel Island is preserved and I am proud to call this place: Home, Sweet Home.
Take a look at my E-Bird List and see what I feasted my eyes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment