Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Bailey on Sunday

My home away from home is definitely the Bailey Tract - as soon as I set foot on the trail, it just feels right and today was no exception. I had a great time listening to all the songs surrounding me....the chuck-will's-widow for one and the Common Yellow-throat - oh, how I love his spring tune.
I was glad that I had enough light to see him.

The sun is coming up and my favorite color is aglow.

Along the Middle Dike, the Common Gallinule family was awake and ready for the day.


Oh my! What a nice surprise! An American Bittern in the tall reeds - somewhat blending in with its surrounding...


I was far enough away to observe it without disturbing it. I later reported my bird list to e-bird and I was surprised to get a 'rare' box, supposedly this fellow should have left to northern grounds by now.


Not too far away, a Prairie Warbler alerted me to its presence by singing - what a bright sunshine they are!

A skip over to the Sanibel Garden Preserve provided me with great views of the Swallow-tailed Kites.

How lovely to have them sitting still and preening away!



And here's another sweet surprise - a Cape May Warbler in its breeding plumage - most likely on its way north.

And the lovely Killdeer family - sweet!





I was going to delete this photo until I saw the smiley face - do you see it?

I'm smiling as I look at these Sabatia and thinking about my friend Elaine Jacobson, her spirit lives on.

A Dragonfly hanging on and seemingly floating in the golden air.

Peek-a-boo from a Common Buckeye

A lovely Peacock Butterfly stealing the 'star' show.

My last sighting - a Blackpoll along the Bailey Tract - a nice treat that will go on my 'Bailey' list. Another great outing - now I'm ready to face the day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment